Public Health Communication and Marketing - Certificate
THIS PROGRAM IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS.
Based on an ecological model of health, the mission of this program is to educate public health professionals to use communication and marketing as strategic tools to influence people, places, and environmental conditions in ways that advance public health objectives.
Our graduates will possess the skills necessary to become highly effective public health practitioners and leaders. Their specific expertise in the strategic use of communication and marketing tools will enable them to work collaboratively with a broad range of other public health experts to plan high-impact health enhancement initiatives, and to implement or supervise the implementation of the communication and marketing components of public health initiatives.
Specifically, our students will become proficient at developing, implementing and evaluating:
- Communication programs that help people make sound health decisions and effectively manage their health behaviors.
- Marketing programs that improve the health capacity of communities by enhancing the competitiveness of the healthful (versus unhealthful) products and services offered to community members.
- Communication programs that promote the adoption of policies – in the public and private sector – which enhance health.
- Graduate Credit Requirement. 18 graduate credits are required.
- Graduate Credit Requirement for students enrolled concurrently in a SPHHS Degree Program. 12 credits are required.
- The Program Director/Advisor must pre-approve all course selections and course sequencing by developing a “program of study” prior to the student’s initial registration. Graduate Certificate students meet with their advisor each semester before registration. All changes in this program of study must be pre-approved by the Program Director/Advisor.
- Course Requirements. Since most graduate certificate students are currently enrolled in an MPH program or have previously earned a graduate degree, most course credits will be selected from the program-specific course list. Under no circumstances may a certificate student enroll in fewer than 9 credits of program-specific courses.
- Grade Point Requirement. A 3.0 (B average) overall grade point average or better is required.
- Time Limit Requirement. The certificate must be completed within two years.
- Transfer Credit Policy. The Program Director/Advisor may approve up to 4 graduate credits that have not been applied to a previous graduate degree to be transferred to the graduate certificate. (Exceptions: SPHHS master's students and alumni may transfer up to 6 credits from master's degree to the Graduate Certificate.) The course(s) must be relevant to the graduate certificate. Credits must have been earned from an accredited institution in the last 3 years with a grade point of 3.0 or better.
Please see MPH, Public Health Communication & Marketing program guide.