THIS PROGRAM IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS.
The mission of the Public Health Management Certificate program is to provide training for those who want to manage a variety of public health programs. Eligibility is generally limited to clinicians, such as physicians, registered nurses and dieticians, and to non-clinician mid-career public health professionals who have approximately ten years of applicable experience.
Graduates of this program will be expected to have:
- Managerial skills appropriate to a variety of public heath programs and services (e.g., organization planning, organizing, leading/motivating, controlling, budget/resource allocation, quality improvement, decision making/problem solving, and ethical analysis);
- An understanding of program/service planning, designing, marketing, and evaluating for purposes of developing business plans and grant proposals;
- Basic skills in financial analysis related to management decision-making; and
- Practical management experience gained through a special project conducted under a preceptor and mentor.
- Graduate Credit Requirement. 18 graduate credits are required.
- Graduate Credit Requirement for students enrolled concurrently in a SPHHS Degree Program. 12 credits are required.
- The Program Director/Advisor must pre-approve all course selections and course sequencing by developing a “program of study” prior to the student’s initial registration. Graduate Certificate students meet with their advisor each semester before registration. All changes in this program of study must be pre-approved by the Program Director/Advisor.
- Course Requirements. Since most graduate certificate students are currently enrolled in an MPH program or have previously earned a graduate degree, most course credits will be selected from the program-specific course list. Under no circumstances may a certificate student enroll in fewer than 9 credits of program-specific courses.
- Grade Point Requirement. A 3.0 (B average) overall grade point average or better is required.
- Time Limit Requirement. The certificate must be completed within 2 years.
Transfer Credit Policy. The Program Director/Advisor may approve up to 4 graduate credits that have not been applied to a previous degree to be transferred to the graduate certificate. (Exceptions: SPHHS master's students and alumni may transfer up to 6 credits from master's degree to the Graduate Certificate.) The course(s) must be relevant to the graduate certificate. Credits must have been earned from an accredited institution in the last 3 years with a grade point of 3.0 or better.
See MPH, Public Health Management program guide.
Federal Disclosure Requirements
Past Program Guides
This is the current program guide for this program. Students should follow the course requirements from the year in which they entered the program.
Guides that are not available online can be acquired from the Academic Affairs Program Coordinator in the Dean's Office.