The state public health laboratory for Virginia, the Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS), is soliciting resumes for multiple Scientist contractor positions in our Molecular Detection and Characterization Laboratory that will directly support testing to detect and analyze SARS-CoV-2 to inform public health surveillance and response. Contractual Scientists will receive comprehensive training to perform testing on a variety of respiratory specimen types. Methodologies utilized at DCLS for SARS-CoV-2 testing include nucleic acid isolation, real-time reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction testing (rRT-PCR), automated high-throughput rRT-PCR platforms, and SARS-CoV-2 next-generation sequencing. Additional duties may include assisting with the validation of SARS-CoV-2 detection and characterization methodologies and instrumentation, performing quality assurance/quality control procedures, maintaining accurate records, and maintenance of equipment. Weekend and after hours work will be required during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic response.
Requirements for qualification include a Bachelor of Science degree or an Associate’s degree in laboratory scientist or medical laboratory technology. Candidates are required to pass a background check to work at DCLS.
Preferred experience and skills for contractual candidates include:
- Experience performing high complexity, high volume Polymerase Chain Reaction testing
- Experience performing nucleic acid sequencing via next generation methodologies
- Knowledge of computerized laboratory information management systems, spreadsheets, Microsoft Office products, and laboratory software programs
- Experience working in a biosafety level two environment
- Experience with automated nucleic acid extraction instrumentation
Send your resume to DCLS_Careers@dgs.virginia.gov to learn more!
When: Monday, September 14th noon.
RSVP on Handshake: https://gwu.joinhandshake.com/events/564166/share_preview