HPM Mission Statement
Department of Health Policy and Management
Approved January 5, 2014
The mission of the Department of Health Policy and Management—a practice-oriented academic community in Washington, DC—is to improve health and health systems locally, nationally, and globally through: excellence in education, innovative scholarship and applied research that is translated into practice and policy, and the promotion of transformational leadership that advances health policy and health services management.
We are committed to:
- Preparing graduates who will become innovative and effective leaders in public health and health policy, health services delivery, and health system transformation;
- Conducting rigorous multidisciplinary research that addresses significant health challenges, is objective, and is translated to inform and affect health policy, health care management, and public health practice;
- Being a trusted resource for shaping and advancing health policy and management practices because of our research integrity and rigor, the real-world leadership experiences of our faculty and staff, and our exceptional students;
- Leveraging our unique location in Washington, DC which allows for strong collaborations with health policy and management leaders and practitioners.
- Improving the health and health care of underserved and vulnerable populations;
- Promoting and learning from the diversity among our faculty, staff, students and alumni in terms of background, experience, and thought.