Epidemiology - Certificate
Please note: This program is no longer accepting new students.
The mission of the Epidemiology Program is to educate graduate students by developing the necessary methodological and quantitative skills to work successfully in the field. While nurturing students’ capacity to think critically and creatively, we strive to deepen their commitment to improving the public’s health and to engaging in and promoting public service qualities we believe are essential for future epidemiologists and public health practitioners.
The goals of the Epidemiology Program are to ensure that graduates:
- Understand and adhere to high scientific standards for research;
- Understand and follow guidelines for ethical treatment of research participants;
- Can communicate research findings to a lay audience; and
- Respect cultural diversity throughout all of the above.
- Graduate Credit Requirement. 18 graduate credits are required.
- Graduate Credit Requirement for students enrolled concurrently in a SPHHS Degree Program. 12 credits are required. (For students in the MPH program as well as the certificate, 12 certificate credits are in addition to the required 45 MPH credits; a total of 57 credits will be taken to award both the MPH and the certificate.)
- The Program Director/Advisor must pre-approve all course selections and course sequencing by developing a “program of study” prior to the student’s initial registration. Graduate Certificate students meet with their advisor each semester before registration. All changes in this program of study must be pre-approved by the Program Director/Advisor.
- Course Requirements. Since most graduate certificate students are currently enrolled in an MPH program or have previously earned a graduate degree, most course credits will be selected from the program-specific course list. Under no circumstances may a certificate student enroll in fewer than 9 credits of program-specific courses.
- Grade Point Requirement. A 3.0 (B average) overall grade point average or better is required.
- Time Limit Requirement. The certificate must be completed within two years.
Transfer Credit Policy. The Program Director/Advisor may approve up to 4 graduate credits that have not been applied to a previous graduate degree to be transferred to the graduate certificate. (Exceptions: SPHHS master's students and alumni may transfer up to 6 credits from master's degree to the Graduate Certificate.) The course(s) must be relevant to the graduate certificate. Credits must have been earned from an accredited institution in the last 3 years with a grade point of 3.0 or better.
Please see MPH, Epidemiology Program Guide.
Federal Disclosure Requirements
Past Program Guides
This is the current program guide for this program. Students should follow the course requirements from the year in which they entered the program.
Epidemiology Certificate 2013-2014
Guides that are not available online can be acquired from the Academic Affairs Program Coordinator in the Dean's Office.