Geiger Gibson Health Policy Fellows Program
Welcome to the Geiger Gibson Health Policy Fellows Program home page, where applicants can access program information, review materials from past sessions, and apply for the next program.
Apply Now for the Geiger Gibson Fellowship in Community Health Policy Program
Calling all health center, PCA, and HCCN staff:
Are you interested in taking a deep dive - from the comfort of your own workplace or home - to learn more about health policy and how to advocate for health center needs? Do you want to gain or hone skills to make you more effective in your job, or to help advance your career?
Join us for the new, adapted, and improved Geiger Gibson Fellowship in Community Health Policy
- We have re-worked the Geiger Gibson Fellowship in Health Policy to address the current reality of the COVID pandemic and challenges with travel.
- All sessions will take place over Zoom instead of in-person.
- Instead of an intensive multi-day trip to DC, the Fellowship will consist of 20 sessions, each about 1.5 hours long, running from March 2021 through December of 2021 – typically on Wednesdays from 12:00 to 1:30 pm eastern time.
- (We will publish a full schedule once we have all dates and speakers lined up, but we expect sessions to be held about 2 times a month, give or take a few…)
- We have reduced the cost from our in-person Fellowship down to $750 per person.
What’s the same?
- We will still provide the same high-quality content as we have in years past.
- We will still include access to health policy experts, leaders in federal agencies, Capitol Hill staff, and peer networking opportunities.
- We will still have a mix of policy content skill-building learning sessions.
- We will still be hosted by Zoë Beckerman, Sara Rosenbaum, and Feygele Jacobs.
- And we will still include small-group work to problem solve and develop sample advocacy materials, and the opportunity for a mock Hill visit and critique of your approach.
The first two sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Session 1: Wednesday, March 17, 2021, from 12-1:30 pm eastern time.
- Session 2: Wednesday, March 31, 2021, from 12-1:30 pm eastern time.
- Additional sessions will be scheduled very soon, with dates running from April through December.
Sample Fellowship Schedule
We are currently working on updating our schedule for the revamped program. Please stay tuned!
Apply for the Health Policy Fellows Program
Thank you for your interest in the Geiger Gibson Health Policy Fellows Program.
The application for the 2021 Health Policy Fellows Program cycle is now closed. Please check back later this year for the 2022 Health Policy Fellows Program cycle.
--Tiffany J. Netters, CEO, 504HealthNet, New Orleans, Louisiana
“This Health Policy Fellows program was informative and valuable from start to finish. The group webinars and suggested readings laid the perfect foundation for the face-to-face meeting and project work. Such a great opportunity to learn more about health policy and approaches to effectively communicating your message. There are one or two other staff at my PCA who I think would greatly benefit from the program, and I’ve recommended to my CEO that they apply for the next cohort!”
--Mary Evans, COO, Rhode Island Health Center Association, Providence, R.I.
“Very rarely in my professional life has a learning experience met my very high level of expectations. I learned, develop friendships, challenged and was challenged, laughed and above all left feeling I took with me additional wisdom to use in make a real difference in the community and industry I serve. All my thanks to the staff for developing a fantastic program!”
--Dale Johnson, CFO, North Central Medical Center, Rock Hill, S.C.
“This was an amazing experience! It was an opportunity to work with peers interested in advocacy work from across the country and discuss advocacy strategy with advocacy gurus. I learned a lot and was inspired to go back and work on our advocacy program back home. What a well spent three days!”
--Dr. Kemi Alli, CEO, Henry J. Austin Health Center, Trenton, NJ
“The Geiger Gibson Fellows program exceeded my expectations in a lot of different ways. The amazing faculty, guest presenters, group project exercise, and participation among the fellows made the program an extremely valuable learning experience and a good challenge during the classroom sessions. I was amazed by how much I learned in a single program.”
--Scott Halterman, Assistant Director, CommonWealth Purchasing Group LLC, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers, Boston, MA
The Geiger Gibson Health Policy Fellows Program (previously the Geiger Gibson Capstone) is designed to meet the professional needs of mid-level and senior staff pursuing leadership careers in community health centers and state and regional primary care associations.
In this Fellowship Program, health center and PCA staff will develop a deeper understanding of health policy and acquire health policy analysis competencies of value to their organizations’ policy and advocacy work.
The Health Policy Fellows Program is designed for motivated mid-level and senior-level staff pursuing management and leadership careers in health centers, PCAs, and HCCNs.
March - December 2021
- To gain a knowledge foundation in health policy and advocacy, geared to health centers and the communities they serve;
- To acquire and use skills related to developing and presenting policy advocacy positions; and
- To interact with policy experts and leaders in health policy and politics
Faculty at the Milken Institute School of Public Health, senior NACHC staff, Geiger Gibson Distinguished Visitors, Washington D.C. health policy experts, and congressional and agency staff will provide instruction.
The Program tuition is $750 per fellow. We are now accepting online credit card payments through our new payment system available here.
To apply, please see the "Apply for the Health Policy Fellows Program" section located on the left-hand side of the menu.