Program Director and Advisor
PLEASE NOTE: BEGINNING SUMMER 2017, TUITION FOR INCOMING STUDENTS IN CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS WILL NO LONGER BE FLAT FEE. TUITION WILL BE SET AT A REDUCED PER CREDIT RATE. RATE STILL TO BE DETERMINED.
The objective of the Health Administration Generalist certificate is to develop health sector leaders, innovators and managers who are dedicated to advancing the health of our local, national and global communities.
Combining the Master’s degree in one of our academic departments with the Health Administration Generalist Graduate Certificate uniquely positions graduates for careers that require both breadth and depth of knowledge and skills in health services. This certificate program is open to applicants with a Master’s degree or higher who may wish to gain knowledge and skills in health services management. Applicants without Master’s degrees (e.g., public health nursing, RN) may be eligible depending upon their professional experience in public health.
The Health Administration Generalist Certificate is tailored to the individual’s professional goals. An advisor is assigned to each student to develop the Program of Study.
|18 credits from courses below: (with advisor's approval)|
|PUBH 6004||Env/Occ Hlth-Sustainable World|
|HSML 6202||Intro/Health Services Delivery|
|HSML 6203||Intro to Health Management|
|HSML 6208||Medical Informatics|
|HSML 6209||Health Services Finance|
|HSML 6210||Hlth Serv Financl Applications|
|HSML 6211||Health Economics|
|HSML 6212||CommunityHealth Mgt & Advocacy|
|HSML 6215||Health Law for Managers|
|Electives (with advisor’s approval)|
- Graduate Credit Requirement: 18 graduate credits are required.
The Program Director/Advisor must pre-approve all course selections and course sequencing by developing a “program of study” prior to the student’s initial registration. Graduate Certificate students meet with their advisor each semester before registration. All changes in this program of study must be pre-approved by the Program Director/Advisor
- Course Requirements. Since most graduate certificate students are currently enrolled in an MPH program or have previously earned a graduate degree, most course credits will be selected from the program-specific course list. Under no circumstances may a certificate student enroll in fewer than 9 credits of program-specific courses.
- Grade Point Requirement: A 3.0 (B average) overall grade point average or higher is required.
- Time Limit Requirement: The Certificate must be completed within two years.
- Transfer Credit Policy: Up to 4 graduate credits that have not been applied to a previous graduate degree may be transferred to the Certificate, if they are determined to be relevant. Credits must have been earned from an accredited institution in the last 3 years with a grade point average of 3.0 or better.
- Transferring to the MHA Program: Upon successful completion of the Graduate Certificate Program students may apply for the MHA program. Up to 18 credits may transfer to the MHA. Students wishing to apply to transfer to a degree program may apply to do so via the online change of concentration pettition after completion of 3 or more courses and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better. A grade of B or better is required for a course to be eligible for transfer.
Past Program Guides
This is the current program guide for this program. Students should follow the course requirements from the year in which they entered the program.