Health Policy and Management
Welcome to the Department of Health Policy and Management! In early 2015, the Department of Health Policy and the Department of Health Services Management and Leadership consolidated to create a larger, integrated department that is even better prepared to lead education, research and practice efforts related to public health policy, health care policy and health services management. This positive evolution creates new and dynamic synergies for faculty, staff, students and alumni, and maximizes our education and research potential.
The mission of the Department of Health Policy and Management—a practice-oriented academic community in Washington, DC—is to improve health and health systems locally, nationally, and globally through: excellence in education, innovative scholarship and applied research that is translated into practice and policy, and the promotion of transformational leadership that advances health policy and health services management.
We are committed to:
- Preparing graduates who will become innovative and effective leaders in public health and health policy, health services delivery, and health system transformation;
- Conducting rigorous multidisciplinary research that addresses significant health challenges, is objective, and is translated to inform and affect health policy, health care management, and public health practice;
- Being a trusted resource for shaping and advancing health policy and management practices because of our research integrity and rigor, the real-world leadership experiences of our faculty and staff, and our exceptional students;
- Leveraging our unique location in Washington, DC which allows for strong collaborations with health policy and management leaders and practitioners;
- Improving the health and health care of under-served and vulnerable populations;
- Promoting and learning from the diversity among our faculty, staff, students and alumni in terms of background, experience, and thought.