Q: What do I have to do for this study?
A: There are two components to this study: an online survey and in-person lab testing. You may elect to complete the online survey and forgo the in-person lab testing.
Q: What do I get out of this study?
A: You get a better picture of your physical health through metabolic testing, compensation through GWorld cash and how you compare to others your age. You will receive about $200 worth of lab testing at no cost to you, and $30 in GWorld money each year you participate in both the survey and the lab testing. If you elect to participate only in the lab testing, you will receive $10 dollars per year to your GWorld.
Q: What tests are done in the lab portion of the study?
A: Each year, the lab testing includes body composition tests, a DEXA and an In-Body; a treadmill based submaximal aerobic capacity test; resting blood pressure; a resting metabolic rate test (Reevue); grip strength and jump height
Q: When can I drop out?
A: You may terminate participation at any point in time during the study, for whatever reason. The FRESH team would appreciate it if the participants reached out and let us know in advance.
Body Composition Tests
- A body composition test that uses high and low energy x-rays to measure the density of different tissues in the body that indicate percent body fat, percent lean mass (muscle tissue), bone content, and bone density.
- A body composition test that uses bioelectrical impedance to measure lean mass, fat mass, and water mass.
Are you a first-year at GW?
- Yes → great, you are eligible to participate!
- No → we appreciate your interest, but you must be a first-year to participate!
Have more questions? Feel free to reach out to us using the following contact information and a member of the F.R.E.S.H. team will get back to you!
Email: [email protected]
What is the F.R.E.S.H. Study?
- The Fitness, Rest, and Exercise for Strength and Health study is a longitudinal study that tracks various health markers of freshman as they progress through their time at GW.
Links to articles about F.R.E.S.H.
- FRESH poster 2023 (https://hsrc.himmelfarb.gwu.edu/gw_research_showcase/2023/SPH/21/)