Articles in Refereed Journals (*student)
References are annotated to provide evidence of substantive contribution in addition to authorship.
1) Wills TA, Cleary SD. (1996). How are social support effects mediated? A test with parental support and adolescent substance use. Journal of Personality and Social Psych, 71, 937-952. PMID: 8939042
2) Rubin DH, Erickson CJ, San Agustin M, Cleary SD, Allen JK, Cohen P. (1996). Cognitive and academic functioning of homeless children compared with housed children. Pediatrics, 97, 289-294. PMID: 8604259
3) Wills TA, Cleary SD. (1997). The validity of self-reports of smoking: Analyses by race/ethnicity in a school sample of urban adolescents. American Journal of Public Health, 87, 56-61. PMID: 9065227
I conceptualized, planned, and conducted the analyses including the single parameter sensitivity analysis, which was the basis of our argument. I contributed to writing all sections of the paper in response to a prior publication indicating that the low prevalence of self-reported smoking among black youth was a measurement artifact. Our analyses indicated that self-reported cigarette smoking among black and Hispanic adolescents was as valid as self-reported smoking by white adolescents and therefore the observed prevalence of smoking was valid, and the observed difference were real. This paper has 253 citations.
4) Wills TA, Windle M, Cleary SD. (1998). Temperament and novelty-seeking in adolescent substance use: Convergence of dimensions of temperament with constructs from Cloninger's theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74, 387-406. PMID: 9491584
5) Wills TA, Cleary SD. (1999). Peer and adolescent substance use among 6th-9th graders: Latent growth analyses of influence versus selection mechanisms. Health Psychology, 18, 453-463. PMID: 10519461
Although the primary thesis of the article was developed by TA Wills, I introduced the method of using latent growth analysis to more appropriately addressed the question. I designed and conducted the analysis and contributed to interpretation of the results and writing the methods, results, and conclusions of this paper. This paper has 310 citations.
6) San Agustin M, Cohen P, Rubin DH, Cleary SD, Erickson CJ, Allen JK. (1999). The Montefiore Community Children’s Project: A controlled study of cognitive and emotional functioning problems of homeless mothers and children. Journal of Urban Health,76,39. PMID: 10091189
7) Crimmins SM, Cleary SD, Brownstein HH, Spunt BJ, Warley RM. (2000). Trauma, drugs, and violence among juvenile offenders. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs, 32 (1), 43-54. PMID: 10801067
8) Cleary SD (2000). Adolescent victimization and associated suicidal and violent behaviors. Adolescence, 35 (140), 671-682. PMID: 11214206
9) Wills TA, Sandy JM, Yaeger AM, Cleary SD, Shinar O. (2001). Coping dimensions, life stress, and adolescent substance use: A latent growth analysis. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 110, 309-323. PMID: 11358025
10) Wills TA, Cleary SD, Filer M, Shinar O, Mariani J, Spera K. (2001). Temperament related to early-onset substance use: Test of a developmental model. Prevention Science, 2,145-163. PMID: 11678291
11) Sinaii N*, Cleary SD, Ballweg ML, Nieman LK, Stratton P. (2002). High rates of autoimmune and endocrine disorders, Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and atopic diseases among women with endometriosis: a survey analysis. Human Reprod, 17, 2715-2724. PMID: 12351553
12) Carter J*, Park E, Moadel A, Cleary SD, Morgan C. (2002). Cancer knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and practices (KABP) of disadvantaged women in the South Bronx. Journal of Cancer Education, 17 (3), 142-149. PMID: 12243219
13) Levine PH, Richardson PK, Zolfaghari L, Cleary SD, Geist CE, Potolicchio S, Young HA, Simmens S, Schessel D, Williams K, Mahan CM, Kang HK. (2006). A study of Gulf War veterans with a possible deployment-related syndrome. Arch Environ Occup Health. Nov-Dec; 61(6):271-8. PMID: 17967750
14) Sinaii N*, Cleary SD, Younes N, Ballweg ML, Stratton P. (2007). Treatment utilization for endometriosis symptoms: a cross-sectional survey study of lifetime experience. Fertil Steril 87(6):1277-86. PMID: 17296195
15) Greene R, Stratton P, Cleary SD, Ballweg ML, Sinaii N. (2009) Diagnostic experience among 4,334 women reporting surgically diagnosed endometriosis. Fertil Steril. 91(1):32-39. PMID: 18367178
16) Edberg M, Cleary SD, Andrade E, Leiva R, Bazurto M, Rivera I, Montero L, Calderon M (2010). SAFER Latinos: A community partnership to address contributing factors for Latino youth violence. Progress in Community Health Partnership. 4(3):221-33. PMID: 20729613
17) Gemmill JAL, Stratton P, Cleary SD, Ballweg ML, Sinaii N. (2010). Cancers, infections, and endocrine diseases in women with endometriosis. Fertility and Sterility, 94(5): 1627-1631. PMID: 19945097
18) Edberg M, Cleary SD, Collins E, Klevens J, Leiva R, Bazurto M, Rivera I, Taylor del Cid T, Montero L, Calderon M. (2010). The SAFER Latinos Project: Addressing a community ecology underlying Latino youth violence. Journal of Primary Prevention, 31(4):247-57. PMID: 20607409
19) Edberg M, Cleary SD, Vyas A. (2011). A trajectory model for understanding and assessing health disparities in immigrant/refugee communities. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health. 13(3):576-84. PMID: 20306225
20) Nsouli-Maktabi HH*, Henson DE, Younes N, Young HA, Cleary SD. (2011) Second Primary Breast, Endometrial, and Ovarian Cancers in Black and White Breast Cancer Survivors over a 35-year Time Span: Effect of Age. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2011 Oct;129(3):963-9. PMID: 21553293
21) Merikangas AK*, Mendola P, Pastor PN, Reuben CA, Cleary SD. (2012). The association between major depressive disorder and obesity in U.S. adolescents: Results from the 2001-2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 35(2):149-54. PMID: 21479835
22) Morton S*, Sayday S, Cleary SD. (2012). Consistency with the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) Diet Among Adults with Diabetes. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.112(11):1798-1805. PMID: 23102178
23) Cristofaro SL, Cleary SD, Wan CR, Broussard B, Chapman C, Haggard PJ, Jananeh S, Myers NL, Compton MT (2013). Measuring trauma and stressful events in childhood and adolescence among patients with first-episode psychosis: Initial factor structure, reliability, and validity of the Trauma Experiences Checklist. Psychiatry Research, 210, 618-625. PMID: 23850437
I was the lead statistician for this interdisciplinary research group led by Dr. Michael Compton, for several grants and papers that utilized my training and experience in psychometrics. I planned and conducted the analyses and contributed to interpretation of results and writing the methods, results, and conclusions of the paper drawing on my substantive knowledge of stressful life events and trauma among children and adolescents. This paper has 15 citations.
24) Windsor, R., Clark, J., Cleary, SD., Davis, A., Thorn, S., Abroms, L., Wedeles, J. (2013). Effectiveness of the Smoking Cessation and Reduction in Pregnancy Treatment (SCRIPT) Dissemination Project: A Science to Prenatal Care Practice Partnership. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 17(3). PMID: 23483412
25) Windsor, R., Cleary SD., Ramiah, K., Clark, J., Abroms, L., Davis, A. (2013). The Smoking Cessation and Reduction in Pregnancy Treatment (SCRIPT) Adoption Scale: Evaluating the Diffusion of a Tobacco Treatment Innovation to a Statewide Prenatal Care Program and Providers. J. Health Comm: International Perspectives, 18(10): 1201-1220. PMID: 23799823
26) Cleary SD., Bhatty, S., Broussard, B., Cristofaro, S.L., Wan, C.R., Compton, M.T. (2014). Measuring Insight through Patient Self-Report: An In-Depth Analysis of the Factor Structure of the Birchwood Insight Scale. Psychiatry Res. 2014 May 15;216(2):263-8. doi: 10.1016/j.psychres.2014.01.043. PMID: 24602993
27) Zhou K.*, Pfeiffer RM, Cleary SD, Hoffman, H.J., Levine, P.H., Chu, L.W., Hsing, A.W., Cook. M.B. (2014) Male pattern baldness increases the risk of aggressive prostate cancer: a prospective analysis of the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Cancer Screening Trial. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Feb 10;33(5):419-25. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2014.55.4279.
28) Cleary SD., Simmons, L., Cubilla, I., Andrade, E., Edberg, M. (2014). Community Sampling: Sampling in an Immigrant Community. In SAGE Research Methods Cases. London, United Kingdom: SAGE Publications, Ltd. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/978144627305014529519
29) Zhou CK*, Littman AJ, Levine PH, Hoffman HJ, Cleary SD, White E, Cook MB. (2015). Male pattern baldness in relation to prostate cancer risks: an analysis in the VITamins and lifestyle (VITAL) cohort study. Send to Prostate. 2015 Mar 1;75(4):415-23. doi: 10.1002/pros.22927.
30) Andrade EL, Evans WD, Edberg MC, Cleary SD, Villalba R, Batista IC (2015). Victor and Erika webnovela: An innovative generation @ audience engagement strategy for prevention. Journal of Health Communication. 2015;20(12):1465-72. doi:10.1080/10810730.2015.1018648. PMID: 26252644
31) Goyal MK*, Kuppermann N, Cleary SD, Teach SJ, Chamberlain JM. (2015). Racial Disparities in Pain Management of Children With Appendicitis in Emergency Departments. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Nov;169(11):996-1002. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.1915. PMID: 26366984
32) Glick SN, Cleary SD, Golden MR. (2015). Brief Report: Increasing Acceptance of Homosexuality in the United States Across Racial and Ethnic Subgroups. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Nov 1;70(3):319-22. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0000000000000740. PMID: 26381102
33) Collins KP*, Cleary SD (2015). Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Parent-Reported Diagnosis of ADHD: National Survey of Children’s Health 2003, 2007, and 2011. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016 Jan;77(1):52-9. doi: 10.4088/JCP.14m09364. PMID: 26761486
34) Edberg MC, Cleary SD, Simmons LB, Cubilla I, Andrade EL, Gudger G. (2015). Defining the “community”: Applying ethnographic methods for a Latino immigrant health intervention. Human Organization 74 (1): 27-41. [NIHMS664333]
35) Zhou CK*, Levine PH, Cleary SD, Hoffman HJ, Graubard BI, Cook MB. (2016). Male Pattern Baldness in Relation to Prostate Cancer-Specific Mortality: A Prospective Analysis in the NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study. Am J Epidemiol. 2016 Feb 1;183(3):210-7. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwv190.
36) Cubilla-Batista I*, Andrade EL, Cleary SD, Edberg MC, Evands WD, Simmons LK, Sojo-Lara G (2016). Picturing Adelante: Latino Youth Participate in CBPR Using Place-Based Photovoice, Social Marketing Quarterly.
37) Kelly SP*, Graubard BI, Andreotti G, Younes N, Cleary SD, Cook MB. (2016). Prediagnostic Body Mass Index Trajectories in Relation to Prostate Cancer Incidence and Mortality in the PLCO Cancer Screening Trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2016 Oct 20;109(3). PMID: 27754927
38) Reyes-Guzman CM*, Pfeiffer RM, Lubin J, Freedman ND, Cleary SD, Levine PH, Caporaso NE. (2017). Determinants of Light and Intermittent Smoking in the U.S.: Results from Three Pooled National Health Surveys. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2017 Feb;26(2):228-239. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965
39) Mead H, Pratt-Chapman M, Cleary SD, Raskin S. (2017) Evaluating the patient-centered quality of cancer survivorship care models. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2017. 35:8_suppl, 48. DOI: 10.1200/ JCO.2017.35.8_suppl.48
40) Bernardini F, Attademo L, Cleary SD, Luther C, Shim RS, Quartesan R, Compton MT. (2017). Risk Prediction Models in Psychiatry: Toward a New Frontier for the Prevention of Mental Illnesses. J Clin Psychiatry. 2017 May;78(5):572-583. doi: 10.4088/JCP.15r10003. PMID: 27337225
41) Kelly SP*, Rosenberg PS, Anderson WF, Andreotti G, Younes N, Cleary SD, Cook MB. (2017). Trends in the Incidence of Fatal Prostate Cancer in the United States by Race. Eur Urol. 2017 Feb;71(2):195-201. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2016.05.011. PMID: 27476048
42) Leavitt L, Abroms L, Johnson P, Schindler-Ruwisch J, Bushar J, Singh I, Cleary SD, McInvale W, Turner M. (2017). Recruiting pregnant smokers from Text4baby for a randomized controlled trial of Quit4baby. Transl Behav Med. 2017 Jun;7(2):157-165. doi: 10.1007/s13142-016-0450-4. PMID: 27909881
43) Edberg MC, Cleary SD, Andrade EL, Evans WD, Simmons LK, Cubilla-Batista I. (2017). Applying Ecological Positive Youth Development Theory to Address Co-Occurring Health Disparities Among Immigrant Latino Youth. Health Promot Pract. 2017 Jul;18(4):488-496. doi: 10.1177/1524839916638302. PMID: 27091606
I am co-Director of the Avance Center and was PI of the R01 (NIMHD/NIH) and guided the development of the measures and research for this paper, including conceptualization and implementation of the PYD-based intervention. I played a significant role in drafting this and subsequent papers utilizing theory and results from the intervention. This paper has 16 citations.
44) Abroms LC, Johnson PR, Leavitt LE, Cleary SD, Bushar J, Brandon TH, Chiang SC. (2017). A randomized trial of text messaging for smoking cessation in pregnant women. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Dec;53(6):781-790. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2017.08.002. PMID: 28982527
45) Birnbaum ML, Cleary SD, Ramsay Wan C, Pauselli L, Compton MT. (2017). Factor structure of the Cannabis Experiences Questionnaire in a first-episode psychosis sample. Early Intervention in Psychiatry. 2017 Oct 20. Doi: 10.1111/eip.12509. PMID: 29052952
46) Andrade EL, Evans WD, Barrett ND, Cleary SD, Edberg MC, Alvayero RD, Kierstead EC, Beltran A. (2018). Development of the place-based Adelante social marketing campaign for prevention of substance use, sexual risk and violence among Latino immigrant youth. Health Educ Res. 2018 Jan 9. PMID: 29329436
47) Compton MT, Lunden A, Cleary SD, Pauselli L, Alolayan Y, Halpern B, Broussard B, Crisafio A, Capulong L, Balducci PM, Bernardini F, Covington MA. (2018). The aprosody of schizophrenia: Computationally derived acoustic phonetic underpinnings of monotone speech. Schizophr Res. 2018 Feb 12. PMID: 29449060
48) Pauselli L, Halpern B, Cleary SD, Ku B, Covington MA, Compton MT. (2018). Computational linguistic analysis applied to a semantic fluency task to measure derailment and tangentiality in schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res. 2018 Feb 17;263:74-79. PMID: 29502041
49) Evans WD, Andrade EL, Barrett ND, Cleary SD, Snider J, Edberg M. (2018). The mediating effect of Adelante brand equity on Latino immigrant Positive Youth Development outcomes, J Health Commun., Aug 2018;23(7):606-613. .
50) Cleary SD., Snead R, Dietz-Chavez D, Rivera I, & Edberg MC. (2018). Immigrant Trauma and Mental Health Outcomes Among Latino Youth. Journal of immigrant and minority health, 20(5), 1053–1059. PMID: 29139024
51) Visek AJ, Mannix H, Chandran A, Cleary SD, McDonnell K, DiPietro L. (2018). Perceived importance of the fun integration theory’s factors and determinants: A comparison among players, parents, and coaches, International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, 2018 Dec
52) Andrade EL, Evans WD, Barrett N, Edberg MC, Cleary SD. (2018). Strategies to Increase Latino Immigrant Youth Engagement in Health Promotion Using Social Media: Mixed-Methods Study., JMIR Public Health Surveill, 2018 Dec 19;4(4):e71. doi: 10.2196/publichealth.9332 PMID: 30567689
53) Cubilla I, Rios M, Batista V, Rosero S, Sambrano D, Castillo J, Colon-Ramos U, Cleary SD, Goodridge A, Luque O, de Simmons I, de Chavez A, Cuadra Y, Jurado J, Gonzalez R, Williams V. (2019). Reduced Food Intake Among Tuberculosis Patients Within an Urban Setting in Panama (P10-023-19). Curr Dev Nutr. 2019 Jun 13;3(Suppl 1). PMCID: PMC6574809.
54) Chiang SC, Abroms LC, Cleary SD, Pant I, Doherty L, Krishnan N. (2019). E-cigarettes and smoking cessation: a prospective study of a national sample of pregnant smokers. BMC Public Health. 2019; 19: 964. Published online 2019 Jul 18. doi: 10.1186/s12889-019-7299-7
55) Evans WD, Andrade EL, Barrett N, Snider J, Cleary S, Edberg M. (2019). Outcomes of the Adelante community social marketing campaign for Latino youth. Health Educ Res. 2019 Oct 1;34(5):471-482. PMID: 31106344
56) Dhumad S, Candilis PJ, Cleary SD, Dyer AR, Khalifa N. (2020). Risk factors for terrorism: a comparison of family, childhood, and personality risk factors among Iraqi terrorists, murderers, and controls, Journal Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression, 2020 Jan, 12:1, 72-88. URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19434472.2019.15
57) Visek AJ, Mannix H, Chandran A, Cleary SD, McDonnell KA, DiPietro L. (2020). Toward Understanding Youth Athletes’ Fun Priorities: An Investigation of Sex, Age, and Levels of Play. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 2020, 28, 34-49.
58) Edberg MC, Cleary SD, Andrade EL, Evans WD, Quinteros-Grady L, Alvayero RD, Gonzalez A. (2020). The Adelante project: Realities, challenges and successes in addressing health disparities among Central American immigrant youth. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology.
As PI of the R01 (Adelante Intervention) I played an integral role in the conceptualization and development of the research that is presented in this paper. I oversaw and conducted the analyses, interpreted and drafted essential portions of the background, methods, results and conclusions based on results from the community-based Adelante intervention.
59) Candilis PJ, Cleary SD, Dhumad S, Dyer AR, Khalifa N. Classifying terrorism: Toward an empirical typology. January 2021. Behavioral Sciences of Terrorism and Political Aggression. DOI: 10.1080/19434472.2021.1874041
I am the lead statistician for this research group of forensic psychiatrists. I contributed to this project by introducing latent class analysis as a more sophisticated method of classifying terrorists based on childhood, family, and personal life events and trauma that was critical to the innovation and impact of the work. I planned and conducted the analyses and contributed to interpretation of results and writing the methods, results, and conclusions of the paper.
60) Edberg MC, Cleary SD, Andrade EL, Evans WD, Quinteros-Grady L, Alvayero RD, Gonzalez A. The Adelante project: Realities, challenges and successes in addressing health disparities among central American immigrant youth. Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol. 2021 Dec 23. doi: 10.1037/cdp0000368. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34941282.
61) Hume M, Hobart K, Briz L, Amara S, Cleary SD, Candilis PJ. Ethics Oversight in Psychiatry: Data from a Model of Organizational Monitoring. Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2021 Dec;44 (4):563-570. doi: 10.1016/j.psc.2021.08.004. PMID: 34763789.
62) Mead, K.H., Wang, Y., Cleary, S. et al. Defining a patient-centered approach to cancer survivorship care: development of the patient centered survivorship care index (PC-SCI). BMC Health Serv Res 21, 1353 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-07356-6
63) McCarley S, López-Ríos M, Burgos Gil R, Turner MM, Cleary SD, Edberg M, Colón-Ramos U. Using a Community-Based Participatory Mixed Methods Research Approach to Develop, Evaluate, and Refine a Nutrition Intervention to Replace Sugary Drinks with Filtered Tap Water among Predominantly Central-American Immigrant Families with Infants and Toddlers: The Water Up @Home Pilot Evaluation Study. Nutrients. 2021 Aug 25;13(9):2942. doi: 10.3390/nu13092942. PMID: 34578820; PMCID: PMC8468015.
PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES UNDER REVIEW
1) Bulusu A*, Cleary SD. Comparison of dental health status in children with autism spectrum disorder vs other developmental disabilities: Results from 2016 National Survey of Children’s Health. August 2022. Autism Research Journal.
CHAPTERS IN BOOKS
1) Wills, T.A., Cleary, SD. (1995). Stress-coping model for alcohol-tobacco interactions in adolescence. In J. B. Fertig & J. P. Allen (Eds.), Alcohol and tobacco: From basic science to clinical practice (pp. 107-128). Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
2) Wills, T.A., Cleary, SD., & Shinar, O. (1999). Temperament dimensions and health behavior: A developmental model. In L. Hayman & J. R. Turner (Eds.). Health and behavior in childhood and adolescence: Cross-disciplinary perspectives. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
3) Wills, T.A., Cleary, SD. (1999). Testing theoretical models and frameworks in child health research. In D. Drotar (Ed.). Handbook of research methods in pediatric and clinical child psychology. New York: Plenum Press.
4) Wills, T.A., Cleary, SD., Shinar, O., & Fegan, M. (2002). Temperament dimensions and health behavior. In L.L. Hayman, J.R. Turner & M.M. Mahon, (Eds.), Health and behavior in childhood and adolescence (pp. 3-36). New York: Springer.
5) Windsor RW, Boyd R, Cleary SD, Driscoll D, Ramiah K. (2010). Evaluation of health promotion and disease prevention and management programs: Improving population health through evidence-based practice. 4th Ed. Health Promotion Group, Washington, DC.
6) Cleary SD, DiPietro L, Seitz AE, Unit 10| Mental Health and Mental Illness, Essentials of Public Health Biology, DiPietro L & DeLoia J, Jones & Bartlett, 9781284077919, 2018 Feb.
Towards monitoring violence indicators: An initiative of the Inter-American Coalition for the prevention of violence (2003) Pan American Health Organization.
NON-PEER REVIEWED REPORTS
1) Cleary SD, Lotrecchiano GR, Knoblach S, Cleary K, Goldman AG, Alyamani S., Development and fostering of “new” teams under the CMTS module. (2018). White paper for CTSI-CN.
2) Puckrein G, Cleary SD, Shapiro M. (2010). Low Consumption and Higher Medicare Cost:Consumption Clusters in a Medicare Fee-for-Service Population. Issue Brief #2. NMQF.
3) Puchalski CM, McSkimming S, Cleary, SD, Taylor C, Butler T. (2006). The hospital-based spirituality initiative: Creating healing environments. Supportive Care Coalition, Portland, OR.
4) Puckrein GA, Cleary SD, Barrett SE, Boyce LM. (2005) End-stage renal disease, racial disparities and small area analysis (SAA): A study of California congressional districts.
5) Stoto MA, Cleary SD, Foster VB. (2001). Epidemiologic studies of MMR vaccine and autism. Prepared for the IOM immunization Safety Review Committee, Washington, DC.
6) Stoto MA, Durch J, Cleary SD, et al., (2001). Community health indicators for the Washington Metropolitan Region: A regional report from the Metropolitan Washington Public Health Assessment Center.